Detox Your Home
Mansfield Shire Council residents are encouraged to take advantage of a free service to safely dispose of old cleaning products, left-over paint, dead batteries and weed killer stored around the home - without putting a strain on the environment .
Detox your Home is a service provided by the Victorian Coalition Government to collect potentially dangerous and unwanted household chemical products. The service is funded by the Victorian landfill levy and administered by Sustainability Victoria in partnership with Mansfield Shire Council. Materials for collection include:
We will not accept
- left-over paints
- brake fluids, fuels and coolants
- old batteries
- poisonous household and garden products
- barbeque gas cylinders
- solvents and glues
- insecticides and pesticides
- photographic chemicals
- kitchen and bathroom cleaners
- fire extinguishers.
- chemicals used for commercial and industrial purposes
- containers over 20 litres or 20 kilograms, or empty chemical containers
- farm chemicals
- waste asbestos, ammunition and flares.
For further information on future Detox your Home collections or to obtain a full list of accepted products call Mansfield Shire Council on 03 5775 8555 or Sustainability Victoria’s Infoline on 1800 35 32 33, or visit http://www.resourcesmart.vic.gov.au Tips to safely transport chemicals
- Check lids are on tight
- Put containers in a plastic tray or bucket
- Double wrap old containers to prevent leaks
- Pack powders and solids securely
- Travel with your car windows open if you have flammable material or chemicals which smell.
Rain, hail or shine*
the team will be at the collection day venue. You won’t need to leave your car — simply follow the instructions and signs on the day. Bring as few or as many products as you like. Each container must be less than 20 litres or 20 kilograms. No empty containers please. *Code Red cancellation policy
If a Code Red Fire Warning is declared in your area, the Detox your Home collection will be cancelled and rescheduled.
Detox Your Home collections are held all year throughout Victoria. For a list of drop-off locations and times, contact Council’s Waste Management Department on 03 5775 8555 or visit http://www.resourcesmart.vic.gov.au